#IncludeNews bring you updates about work done for inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities in Europe. This post is updated during the month.
Previously on #IncludeNews: July and August 2023.
EU Disability Card
The European Commission proposed to create a European Disability Card to improve free movement for persons with disabilities.
- The proposal is “making sure they can, on an equal basis, access special conditions, preferential treatment, and parking rights when visiting another Member State.”
The European disability movement welcomes this proposal.
- It has been a longstanding demand first presented 10 years ago.
- “We are glad that the proposal expands the scope of the Card according to the disability movement’s demands.
- “We especially appreciate the correct interpretation that non-nationals who are EU citizens visiting another country will get the same benefits as nationals in a wide range of services, including transport or commercial discounts.”
The proposal includes also a new EU Parking card for persons with disabilities.
Inclusion Europe is also please to see easy to read version of the announcement.
- It is another example of easy to read being increasingly used to inform about the work and proposals of European Union institutions.
The Commission’s proposal will be discussed by the European Parliament and the Council.
- If adopted, EU countries would have 18 months to incorporate the provisions of the Directive into national law.
Subscribe to Include newsletter for news about inclusion and rights of people with intellectual disabilities and their families.
Our work brings the voice of people with intellectual disabilities and their families where decisions about their future are made.
This has always been incredibly important. It is even more so with the Covid pandemic drastic impact on their rights and lives.
Being visible and vocal on issues directly affecting millions of people requires your support.
Become Inclusion Europe supporter and help us keep doing our work.