|Unapei is an Inclusion Europe member from France.
Unapei works to make life better for people with intellectual disabilities.
Unapei wrote a paper for politicians.
Inclusion Europe member Unapei has published a position paper on deinstitutionalisation, a process they believe is instrumental in allowing people with disabilities to gain or reclaim control over their lives.
Unapei has identified several factors that could contribute to giving people with disabilities the power to act and to take meaningful decisions, and would support the deinstitutionalisation process, among which:
- empowering the self-advocacy movement
- supporting the strong voice of parents group, whose members have lived experience of supporting their children in mainstream environments
- the critical thinking and new approaches that stem out of cooperation between different organisations of people with disabilities
- the exchange of ideas between parents, caregivers, services providers and the people with intellectual disabilities themselves
- network-building among the social, medical and educational sectors
- a new concept for the functioning of organisations, stemming from the constrains if the current financial system
Our work brings the voice of people with intellectual disabilities and their families where decisions about their future are made.
This has always been incredibly important. It is even more so with the Covid pandemic drastic impact on their rights and lives.
Being visible and vocal on issues directly affecting millions of people requires your support.
Become Inclusion Europe supporter and help us keep doing our work.