How can digital inclusion become a reality? There are many technological tools focused on the inclusion of people with disabilities in general, but most of them are not accessible to people with intellectual disabilities. This excludes them from today‘s information society.
The “Able to Include” project addressed this issue: The project developed assistive technology to support people with intellectual disabilities in using social media.
More information about the Able to Include project can be found on the dedicated website.
Several services were developed in the context of the project:
– an accessibility layer which is open-source and can be used by developers everywhere
– a text-to-pictogram translator
– a text simplifier
– a text-to-speech programme
– the PictoChat mobility app
– Kolumba, an easy-to-use e-mail web client
This project lasted from 2014 to 2017.
During this time, many programmes were made
to support people with intellectual disabilities
in using social media.
- a programme to make text easier
- a programme to make text into pictures
- an easy-to-use email.