#IncludeNews bring you updates about work done for inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities in Europe. This post is updated during the month.
Previously on #IncludeNews: May 2023.
Representation during European Youth Event
Tamara Byrne was part of EDF delegation in Strasbourg, France, taking part in the European Parliament event. Tamara talked about employment of people with intellectual disabilities.
Tamara Byrne, our Youth Committee member, explains how stressful is the job searching process for persons with a disabilities
— European Disability Forum (@MyEDF) June 10, 2023
Forced sterilisation of women with disabilities
Series of articles by Euronews in collaboration with EDF:
- ‘I see the scar and I want to die’: Why the EU allows sterilisation of women with disabilities
- ‘Forced contraception is the rule’: Hungary fails to end abuses against women with disabilities
- The consent dilemma: Why France is struggling to end forced sterilisation of women with disabilities
- Why did Sweden sterilise up to 30,000 people against their will in the cause of eugenics?
Read also: Violence against women – Inclusion Europe
Award for leadership received by Inclusion Europe vice-president
Congratulations to our vice-president received Institute of Directors award for her commitment to leadership, pushing for human rights-driven public services and significant policy change in Scotland and internationally.who as CEO of
Mental health strategy
The European Commission presented a new strategy for mental health.
Award for television done by people with intellectual disabilities
- It creates exciting jobs in journalism and TV production.
- First BRA-broadcast went on the air in 2019.
TV BRA received Pride Award for equality of people with disabilities.
Living independently and being included
European Commission will present a new guidance for EU countries on independent living and inclusion. This is what Inclusion Europe thinks the document should cover: Lack of understanding is not the issue, lack of action is.
European Disability Card
European Disability Card will be automatically issued to people obtaining a certificate of of disability from 1 January 2024 in Belgium.
Hear our Voices! self-advocacy conference
The conference takes place in Tallinn, Estonia from 20 to 22 September 2023.
The main topic of the conference is: Make it real! How to promote self-advocacy in countries where it is not strong.
There will be workshops led by self-advocates, who share their experience in different ways self-advocacy works:
- How they came to be a self-advocate.
- What it takes to organise self-advocacy groups and organisations.
- What a good support to self-advocate looks like.
- Where self-advocates speak to share their views and knowledge.
There will be discussions about what governments and organisations need to do to support and include self-advocates.
Subscribe to Include newsletter for news about inclusion and rights of people with intellectual disabilities and their families.
Our work brings the voice of people with intellectual disabilities and their families where decisions about their future are made.
This has always been incredibly important. It is even more so with the Covid pandemic drastic impact on their rights and lives.
Being visible and vocal on issues directly affecting millions of people requires your support.
Become Inclusion Europe supporter and help us keep doing our work.